Monday, November 29, 2010

Accessorizing


I've been playing actual hockey games for about 2 1/2 years now.  Before that, I took a year to take a basic adult skills class through Canlan Icesports.  OK, for those of you who've seen me play, you doubt the veracity of the adult skills segment, but I assure you it's true!

Now with each new team, one inevitably ends up with a new jersey.  My first actual team jersey was from a short lived stint in the ASHL adult instructional games session.  I signed up, showed up for the first session, got my jersey and then the lessons were cancelled the next week onward.  Well at least I got my jersey!  After that I received my all time favourite jersey, from my first real team, The Toronto Thrashers.  This was the team that was formed in a beginner adult hockey league (the actual name of the league is the league who can't be named - John and I had major issues with this league and one day I'll blog about it when I can figure how to do so in a way where I won't be sued for libel, even though I'd be in the right).  The jersey was arbitrarily assigned to our team by the league, and was frequently, but lovingly refered to by our team as a "poopy yellow" in colour.  When our team graduated out of the beginner league into the next league up, we decided to get a new jersey and thus the Thrasher symbol on the Tampa Bay Lightning coloured shirt was born.  The guys on our team loved this jersey thinking the black made them look tough, the only problem was that many of the other teams echoed the same sentiment which created problems since the league did not require home & away jerseys, so both teams would show up wearing black! 


Because of our issues with the aforementioned League who cannot be named, I'm now on two new teams, ironically one of them is has the same colours as the original Thrasher's jersey!  This works out because I had yellow/black/white socks that went with my original uniform.  Which brings me to my main point - I know you were wondering if any of these musing were actually leading anywhere?  My point is "Accessorizing in Hockey" cause when you stop and think about it, hockey is a highly accessorized sport.
In the NHL teams need three sets of jerseys (Home/Away/Alternate).  Each jersey requires separate accessories in the form of socks, helmets, pants, and gloves.  When you think about it, these NHL jocks are more accessorized than some of the ladies my mother plays bridge with at the Country Club!

Of course, at the level at which I play; there is neither the interest nor more importantly, the funds to have so many choices.  Plus we don't have guys that carry our gear around for us either!  Thus one follows the basic tenets that any fashion savvy woman knows and that's black goes with everything!  I have a black helmet, black pants and black socks.  I actually have blue/white/black gloves, but that's just because they were on sale, which is also important as any fashion savvy woman knows!

So it just goes to show you, that you can succumb to your fashion instincts and still play hockey!  Who knew? 

No comments:

Post a Comment