Thursday, April 28, 2011

Between Two Seasons


The Two Sports Actually Go Together Well

It's springtime in Toronto, which means our long, dreary winter is becoming a distant memory.  The dirty piles of snow have melted and little green plants are sprouting up in my garden (whether they're actual plants or weeds really doesn't matter to me).  The days are getting warmer, as well as longer.  No longer can I hide beneath various layers of dark clothing, thus my fitness regime continues with a greater intensity, with the vista of wearing shorts and form fitting T shirts on the horizon.

It also means that it's playoff time for both the NHL and Hockey Toronto Rec League (not that I'm equating the two).  My Leafs didn't make the playoffs for the NHL (really not much of a surprise) and my Co-Ed rec team entered into the playoffs firmly entrenched in 6th place (out of 9 teams, which was also really not much of a surprise).  Tonight we have a playoff game and today the golf range opened up at Donalda (a golf club where our family has a membership).

..... fast forward 2 weeks - Ok I never finished the above entry, but I am now ....

Well hockey playoffs for me were over in one evening, whereas the NHL is just finishing up the quarter finals.  As far as my rec hockey team went, we made it to the finals, but lost 2 - 1 in a well played game.  Our team went further then I thought we would and we went out for pizza and beer (which is what we do after every game - which is what rec hockey is really all about).  I enjoy watch the NHL playoff hockey, since there are far less fights when the games are important.  It's also enjoyable to watch games, where you really couldn't care less as to who wins or loses.  I have a slight affinity for the Vancouver Canucks, only for the reason that they're the last Canadian team still standing.

In less then a week I'll be starting summer hockey, but my real interest right now is turning towards golf.  This past winter John and I spent four days a week hitting off mats indoors whilst receiving various tips on our swings (I received a lot more tips than John).  This has really paid off, in that my game looks like it wont be a total disaster this season.  So far I've only been out to the driving range, but I'm hitting the ball well at least 50% of the time - which is quite the improvement to my approximate 2% of the time last year.

It'll be an interesting summer.  Golf, Hockey, Running a 5K and I'm seriously thinking about competing in a Triathlon. 

Life is good.  Keep your fingers crossed that my knees hold up.


No comments:

Post a Comment