Monday, October 11, 2010

Hockey in the Family


Family Hockey Game - John on the left, Jamie in the Centre &
Me on the Right
If you look closely, I'm missing my Right Wing - I think they saw I was facing off,
put their stick down and left


Our whole family plays hockey, which can mystify non players, but makes total sense to us.   The family calendar is a mish mash of appointments, reminders and most importantly, hockey games.  A year or two ago, it was even worse, since Jamie was playing at a competitive level in Toronto, which meant two games a week, plus practice, plus training.  John or I were constantly ferrying him to one location or another.  Then when I started to play hockey, I asked Madie if she wanted to play hockey too, she was 13 and I was 46, since (like the rest of her family) she's tall, she was allowed to take Adult Hockey Level 1, what we lacked in skill, we made for in enthusiasm.  After a season of training, Madie joined a Girl's recreational House League, I joined a beginner Adult League and John, bless the man, volunteered to coach Madie's team.  Jamie was now (on occasion) dragged out to watch Madie play, as she had been dragged out for so many years (John was a single dad for many years) to watch Jamie play.

As a parent, with a child in competitive hockey, one of the happiest days is when they obtain their G2 driving license and can now drive unaccompanied to their hockey games.  Jamie loved the independence of having the car on his own, and we loved the fact that we didn't have to spend another evening in a cold arena.  Plus as the kids get older, their start times move later, Jamie's games in his final year of playing, usually started around 10 pm, which was when I was getting ready for bed!

Things are a tad calmer in our household these days.  Jamie's now away at University and has chosen to play in a contact intramural league.  He's responsible for keeping his schedule organized which frees up a lot of space on our calendar.  Right now John and I are playing on Tuesday and Friday nights in a co-ed league.  I play on woman's team on Sunday night.  Madie plays on Sundays and Mondays (with John coaching that night).  When people call our house and can't get an answer, they always assume we're out playing hockey, usually we are.

My Mother in Law (Mary Lou) and her son (John's Brother) Doug
she gets the hockey thing


All family events are planned around our hockey schedule.  Luckily most of our extended family plays hockey too and understands the priority that hockey takes in your life.  When John and I were married, we chose to have a family hockey game instead of having a rehearsal party.  Since is was a second marriage for both of us, we knew the routine of "I dos", hockey was more interesting (and more fun).   When we set dates for Thanksgiving dinner or Birthday parties, the first consideration is everybody's hockey schedule.  Madie is now working her first part time job, and suddenly, since her season starts today, has to consider how she'll balance, school, work and hockey.   The parent in me says that school comes first; the hockey maniac in me says that hockey comes first; luckily her employer has a son that plays hockey too, so he gets the vagrancies of a hockey schedule. 

At the end of the day, it's all a balancing act.  If you can't find me or reach me, look in at the local arena, I'm probably there!

No comments:

Post a Comment