Sunday, October 17, 2010

Jumping on the Bandwagon


I was born and raised in Toronto (Ontario, Canada).  I lived a few years in Kingston, Oakville and Georgetown; I travelled throughout Europe and Northern Africa; yet I planted my roots in Toronto.  In fact, I live in a house about a block away from where I grew up.  Some might say that I lack an adventurous spirit; I'd say that I just know a good thing when I see it.  I love my city, I'm not immune to its faults and foibles, but I love its cosmopolitan vibe, sheathed in a conservative layer.  I've watched the city grow and develop.  I've trudged through the snow and slush, cursing the climate, but I have to admit I love watching the changing seasons, watching the trees change their colours is spellbinding.


One cannot live within the city of Toronto and not get caught up in the Maple Leaf Hockey Club hype.  The Toronto Maple Leafs are an institution unto themselves within Toronto.  The organization is part of the original six teams that made up the NHL in its infancy.  Since 1917 the Toronto media has had a love/hate relationship with the team, but even at its lowest ebb, it's been like a horrific car crash, somehow we've been unable to look away.  It certainly hasn't been all bad.  There were a few dynastic years in the 60s, when the team won three straight Stanley Cups.  Names such as Frank Mahovlich, Dave Keon, Tim Horton, Andy Bathgate and Johnny Bower made their presence known - names that now reside in the Hockey Hall of Fame (which of course, is found in Toronto).  The last Stanley Cup was won in 1967, the next year Frank Mahovlich was traded to Detroit, Horton went to New York and the dynasty came to an end.  The Hockey Hall of Fame is the home of the Stanley Cup; it's just that the Toronto Maple Leaf's name hasn't been inscribed on it for a long time.

The 1970s and 1980s were ugly years for the Leafs.  The owner of the team, Harold Ballard was more interested in his own power and position rather than building a cohesive hockey team.  Yet despite year after year of losses and rarely making it to the playoffs, the seats remained filled.  The fans remained loyal, more to the past than the present. 

The Montreal Canadians have probably the most rabidly devouted fan base in the NHL, yet their hearts are fickle.  When the Canadians are loosing, they're conspicuously absent from the arena, when they're winning, the love affair is rekindled.  The Canadians' owners know that they have to produce winners to produce revenues, that's never been the case in Toronto.  Maybe we're too lenient on our team, maybe there's really nothing else to do during a long Toronto winter, except watch hockey.  Yet even though the seats may be filled, Torontonians and its media love to bash the Leafs.  It's a conundrum to say the least.  We say we hate them, that they're useless etc. etc. but we pay ridiculous amounts to see them.  ($650 for a platinum level ticket, if you can get it).

In 2008 the Leafs hired a new General Manager, Brian Burke and with his hiring, a new life came to the Toronto hockey scene.  Slowly, but inexorably, Burke began to build a viable hockey club.  So far this season the Leaf's record is 4 - 0, which is fairly remarkable given their predilection for failure in the past.  Even more remarkable, is the number of people who are loudly declaring themselves Leaf's fans.  The bandwagon is presently rather crowded in Toronto, but that doesn't mean that it will remain that way.  I know very few rabid, die hard Leaf fans that will stick with the team through thick and thin.  Right now, the true fans are delighting in their team's victories, but are quite aware that glory is fleeting.

I remain ambivalent about the Leafs.  'Truth be told, I'm completely amazed by any professional hockey player.  Ever since I began to play the game, I've garnered a new appreciation for the spectacular skills that they hold.  Yet I find it hard to justify any professional athlete's salary, that is simply my own issue, and obliviously not one that is shared by many.  Thus I will continue my arm's length association with my hometown team.  I will giggle when I read my friend Anooj's Facebook comments that range from the raucous to the profane while he cheers on his team with multiple postings throughout a game.  I will shake my head when I watch Hockey Night in Canada and see how many seats are occupied in Toronto and how much money the institution makes. 

I think I'll let someone else have my seat on the Bandwagon.

No comments:

Post a Comment