Friday, October 8, 2010

To be Thankful

Canadian & American Military Personal Play Road Hockey
in Afghanistan
photo:  Vancouver Sun



The Thanksgiving long weekend is about to begin.  As I type this, Jamie, my stepson, is boarding a bus to make his way back home from his first month away at University.  A cheesecake is baking in the oven (his favourite), in a few hours I'll put a Prime Rib in the oven to roast, prepare some risotto (another favourite of his), and make a cauliflower/cheese bake.  I may or may not have enough time to enjoy all of that before I have to take off with John for our Co-ed hockey game tonight.  We even have a keg of Heineken chilling in John's draft system that he received for father's day.  After the game is over, John and I will forgo drinks with the team, in order to hurry back home to have a cold one with Jamie.  To sleep peacefully knowing that he's safe under our roof.  Right now, life is good.

I have so much to be thankful about.  I live in an incredible country that provides me with so much.  I spent a long time back packing amongst Europe and Northern Africa when I graduated from University.  I had a chance to see so many amazing places, but I was content to return to my home, I could recognize even in my youth, the quality of life that we as Canadians enjoy.  I've travelled to many countries and have always been proud to pronounce my nationality.   I'd like to say a big Thank You to our armed forces that helps to keep our country safe, and who represents us so well around the world.

I'm incredibly thankful for my family.  I'm married to a man I adore.  His wry sense of humour cracks me up time and time again.  I've got two step kids that have brought me into the realm of motherhood, (whether I was ready for it or not).  They amaze me with their ability to adapt to our new life together.  Of course they're teens that do stupid teen things (I did even more stupid things in my day), but they're respectful, do well in school and argue like an old married couple with each other (I call them Mr & Mrs Bickerson).  Then rounding out this motley crew is Guinness, who we rescued from a shelter just over two years ago.  He's a lab/sheppard mix, he's obsessed with tennis balls, but gives us all unmitigated love.



The Ross/Mooney Family

I'm also thankful for my extended family.  My mom and step dad are my biggest cheerleaders.  My mother in law is supportive, warm, caring and has been known to enjoy a glass (or two) of white wine with me on occasion (or two).  My brother whom I spent my teens despising, I eventually discovered is an intelligent and warm person, I even had the delight of playing hockey with him this summer.  Of course there are numerous friends, both old and new who occupy a significant role in my life.  I'm thankful that Neil, my ex husband and I managed to save our friendship out of the ashes of our marriage.

I'm thankful that I'm healthy (knees notwithstanding) and that my family is healthy too.

I'm thankful that I discovered hockey and thus met so many incredible people, plus it gives a whole new meaning to "date night" for John and I.

I'm thankful for the beautiful home that John and I built.  That we're safe and warm at night, that we have plenty to eat (too much at times), that we can take the kids or just ourselves and travel to interesting places.

I'm thankful that Mom and Tom survived their bouts with cancer and pray that my sister in law does too.

When I go to sleep tonight, it won't matter if we won or lost our hockey game.  What will matter, is that John and I were able to play a game that we both love, together.  That we'll have both kids sleeping safely under our roof tonight.  I'll lay in bed, listening to John and Guinness snore softly and know that I am blessed, and that I am thankful.


No comments:

Post a Comment