Wednesday, January 26, 2011

If You Look Good - You Feel Good

A New Jersey and A New Year

All told, I didn't play hockey for about 6 weeks.  I missed it a great deal.  Sure, I went to the rink with John to watch our team play.  Sure, I went to the rink to watch Madie play (my women's team was playing on the rink beside her's).  But it's really not like actually taking part, you're not really part of the team.  Of course, that didn't stop me drinking with the team (my co-ed adult team, not Madie's house league team, I have some standards)!  I'm not a 100% yet, but I'm close enough that I'm out there trying.  Plus, our co-ed team got new jerseys and I had to get in on that!

There's something about a new uniform that gives you a sense of a new beginning.  It reminds me of choosing what to wear for your first day back at school.  Why it really mattered what you wore for the first day back somewhat eludes me now ~ probably it was a remnant of your mother choosing your first day of school outfit so that you made your best first impression.

Our new hockey jerseys are pretty 'stylin,' there not quite as impressive as my old team's Thrasher jerseys, but then again, they only cost me $30.00, as opposed to more than triple that for the Thrasher jersey.

we did look good!

The new team (which is called The Blues) is slowly coming together.  Like the Thrashers, we were a 'put together' team by the league.  It doesn't have the cohesiveness of the Thrashers yet, but at least we're starting to hang out together after the game having a few beers (which is really the whole point of adult recreational hockey).  I think the reason the Thrashers got along so well since the inception of the team, was because we went through the beginner program together and plus we had Anooj who made it very clear that the bar, not the rink, was the focal point of the team!

But I digress, yet since this is my blog, I guess I can digress as much as I like!

The new jerseys go extremely well with my gloves - the same dark blue, lighter blue and white.  The gloves I bought on sale ages ago, but it looks like I was trying to match things up and of course, looking good means you play good (I know it should say play "well", but as I said, it's my blog).  For one second of madness I considered buying a new stick to go along with my new 'outfit.'

this one has just the right shade of blue to match the jersey

Yes, it was only a second of madness, since the price tag of this stick was $269.00.  Sigh.  All the style magazines tell you that accessorizing is so important, but I don't think my level of play really justifies this level of stick.  Flex is rather unimportant to someone who can't for the life of them do a slap shot - plus I play in a league that slap shots aren't allowed! 

Hmmmmm, maybe I could do something with my laces .....

1 comment: